Saturday, January 28, 2012

I Made My Neighbor Tortillas Today

The neighbors son comes over to check on Gabriel today, and I offer him something to drink or eat, he says no and continues on to say that if he becomes hungry he will simply go to his house because was he told by his dad not to offer food to guests at his home, as he was only providing food for those living under his roof, and if he did it again, he would be grounded for a month, so he is trying to not take from anyone else. {But you are not taking, I’m offering to give, were my thoughts} I was looking at him in confusion considering the openly religious nature of this family – I was, surprised.  (Who has me “stereotyping” anyway.)
I went on to think about how my children’s interactions were when they went over there. In our home, anyone who comes in is asked if they are hungry or would like something to drink – that is the norm for me – I grew up with that. Anyone who can relate knows that when you walk into your Abuela’s house, before you get to even sit, she has already placed the tortillas and beans and everything else she has on the table, and you have no choice but to eat! (lol) So when they go over and they are confronted with this – I wondered how they handle it. Ultimately I know they will be fine and they will learn their boundaries when it comes to others and how they run their households, but I hope they see that giving is so much better than not, and when you hold onto a belief, let it have the foundation of love; hold it whole and hold it honestly~

No comments:

Post a Comment